It’s no mystery that JD (Joshua Dimitri) Shultz grew up to be an artist. JD’s parents were both professional artists. Sculptor/painter Carole Shultz and multi-media painter, Jack Shultz were well known throughout Southern California in the 70’s and 80’s. Along with his artist siblings, Adam and Rachel, the family breathed, worked and took joy in creating art.
To this day, there are thousands of people from all over the world that have decorated their homes or offices with JD's vibrant paintings. JD captures the mind, soul and inner spirit through a body of work best described as "complexity at its most whimsical.” His paintings range from dreamlike cityscapes to thought provoking abstracts and fantasy surrealistic pop. His innovative use of acrylics painted on the reverse side of Plexiglas, Canvas, Metal and Wood produce images that explode off the surface. Each piece treats the mind to a happy but still intense experience of color and design.
Some of JD's corporate clients include MGM Resorts International, Venture Capital Firm Bryant & Stibel, Four Seasons Hotels, The Bellagio, Aria, Guitar Center and Canter's Deli. His work is in the private collections of Kobe Bryant, Larry King, Ryan Seacrest, Barry Manilow, Alanis Morissette, Dr. Drew Pinsky, Mario Lopez, Ric Ocasek, Sex Pistol and KLOS DJ Steve Jones, to name a few.JD is also quite the philanthropist. His artwork has been auctioned and sold at major events:
- The Grammy’s/MusiCares Foundation (honoring Bruce Springsteen, Paul McCartney, Barbra Streisand, Brian Wilson, James Taylor, Don Henley, Aretha Franklin, Neil Diamond and Neil Young)
- RADD (Rock Against Drunk Driving)
- The City of Hope
- The American Heart Association
- Beverly Hills Firemen's Association
- Barbra Streisand's Women's Heart Disease Foundation
- The Drukpa Foundation
- The Drop in the Bucket Foundation
- The Art Of Elysium
- Keep Memory Alive
- Miracle Flights For Kids
- Center for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
- Adopt The Arts
- My Gym Foundation
- Burbank Arts For All Foundation
JD's early artistic palette was further expanded by his passion for rock and soul music. As a self-taught multi-instrumentalist, producer, engineer, mixer and award winning songwriter, JD has written and recorded music since his late teens. These roots advanced his expression of color and design, giving an innate sense of rhythm and motion to his paintings. JD wrote and produced his first solo record in 2010 entitled "Human Brother" 'Vision Days On The Life Ride' which received Grammy consideration in 8 categories. JD’s follow-up Human Brother album released in 2015 titled “Back to Music” received Grammy consideration in 11 categories. Both albums are available here at jdshultz.com.
“There is a void in our era of ‘light speed technology’. If people took a little time out of their day to express themselves creatively, they would be more connected, not only to themselves, but planet earth. The most amazing creation of all time.” “We are all artists when we come into this world; pure as a child and a box of crayons. If we just held on to that childlike innocence throughout our lives, every living person would be giving their art, making the earth more colorful than ever. Creative expression is the best way to communicate your true self.”WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING:
- "I love JD's art. His work is both inspiring and timeless. My entire family enjoys the bright and youthful ambiance his art brings to a room." Actor/Musician -Will Smith
- “JD’s work is fun.” -Larry King
- "I first viewed JD's art at a friend’s home. Since then he has been one of my favorite artists. His bright colors and relaxing subject matter keep me forever young." Hall of Fame quarterback -Steve Young